Child abuse are carried out under guise of medical treatment
ENGLAND - An independent inquiry into child sexual abuse found that perpetrators were most commonly male healthcare practitioners with routine clinical access to children between the 1960s and 2000s. As a result, neither their colleagues nor the children or their parents questioned their actions.
One survivor said: “Under the guise of performing a medical test, called a high vaginal swab, he used that as an opportunity to rape me. I thought I was dying, but I also thought I had to be very quiet, because it was the right thing to do.”
Only a quarter reported they were able to disclose the sexual abuse as a child. In some cases, healthcare professionals dismissed children who reported abuse as "sick" or "crazy."
The report, published on Thursday, discovered that, in addition to healthcare professionals' positions of trust and authority, other factors that enabled sexual abuse to occur included physical isolation in private consultation rooms and victims' lack of knowledge about medical procedures.

No comments:
Post a Comment